UPDATE: Get the new, improved and streamlined S'moreffles recipe in my book!
Buy "Will It Waffle?" at your local bookstore, or on Amazon.
For background on this recipe, see the previous post.
This recipe comes to us from Lauren Pett, chocolatier and owner of Rich Chocolates. It was adapted from Nancy Silverton's Pastries from the La Brea Bakery.
For s'mores, you need marshmallows, chocolate and graham crackers.
For s'moreffles, you need marshmallows, chocolate and graham cracker dough. Lauren recommends mini marshmallows.
The graham cracker dough can be made a day ahead of time. The dough is first waffled separately, and then the whole s'moreffle is briefly rewaffled to bring everything together.
Here's how to make s'moreffles.
Graham cracker dough
This recipe makes about a dozen 4-inch square waffled graham crackers.
- 2 cups all purpose flour (or, 1 cup whole wheat, 1 cup all purpose flour)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces, chilled
- 1/3 cup honey
- 5 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- Pinch of cinnamon
1. Mix the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, honey and vanilla.
2. Add the butter to the dry ingredients and rub together (or pulse in food processor) until the mixture looks like coarse cornmeal.
3. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture until a dough forms. You may need to add a bit more flour, up to a half cup.
4. Wrap in plastic and chill for at least two hours, or overnight.
Bringing it all together: S'moreffles
1. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough so that it's just over a quarter of an inch thick. Punch out or cut out the dough into squares, about 4 inches on each side. (You may experiment with the thickness of the dough to suit your waffle iron. Similarly, the size and shape of the dough may be adjusted according to your waffle iron.)
2. Waffle the dough. Waffle iron heat varies; check the dough after about three minutes.
3. Set aside the waffled graham crackers.
4. When you are ready to assemble the s'moreffles, place one waffled graham cracker on the waffle iron and top with chocolate and marshmallows. Place another waffled graham cracker on top, close the waffle iron (you may not wish to close it all the way), and allow the heat to melt the chocolate and the marshmallows — about one minute.